Outside of the CBD, a tour of Wellington’s highlights includes the following;
- Weta Workshop || Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson’s special effects & prop company. Tours available.
- Mount Victoria Lookout || A very short drive (or challenging suburban hike) from central Wellington is the Mount Victoria summit, above the suburb of Roseneath. Head to the top for excellent views over Wellington city and its beautiful harbour.
- Red Rocks || Red Rocks is a lovely coastal area in the Southern part of Wellington. It’s a great place to enjoy a pleasant hike along one of Wellington’s scenic beaches.
- Miramar Peninsula || Miramar Peninsula is a suburban area just east of Wellington Airport. There are nice beaches and wild coastline around the perimeter, making for a pleasant drive. You can stop by Seatoun for coffee or fish and chips. If you just want to enjoy a short section of the peninsula, the drive from past the airport to Breaker Bay is the most scenic.
- Kaitoke Regional Park || Located a 50 minute drive north of Wellington, Kaitoke Regional park was used as a film set for Lord of the Rings, specifically Rivendell. Although there are no physical reminders of the filming activity, Rivendell is a flat grassy and sheltered area surrounded by beautiful native bush, with information boards detailing the work taken to create the site.